ADOBE PageMill (fwd)

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Dec 15 12:38:30 EST 1995

_____________________________
>Peter C. Gorman
>pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu

I copied the following from the HOTDOG 2.0 Professional Help and submit them
for you to make your own decisions.

*Regarding Netscape's Center Tag*
All lines of text between the begin and end of the <CENTER> element are
centered between the current left and right margins.  A new element has been
introduced rather than using the proposed <P ALIGN= CENTER>  because using
<P ALIGN= CENTER > breaks many existing browsers when the <P> element is
used as a container.  The <P ALIGN= CENTER > element is also less general
and does not support all cases where centering may be desired.

*Regarding the HTML 3.0 convention*
Included in the proposed HTML level 3.0 specification is the ability to
align paragraphs

	Basically, ALIGN=left|center|right attributes have been added to the <P>
element.
	e.g :

	<P ALIGN=LEFT> ... </P>

	All text with in the paragraph will be aligned to the left side of the page
layout. This setting is equal to the default <P> element.

	<P ALIGN=CENTER> ... </P>

	All text within the paragraph will be aligned to the center of the page.

	<P ALIGN=RIGHT> ... </P>

        All text will be aligned to the right side of the page.

NOTE: To account for the commonly used yet non-standard <CENTER> element,
Mosaic (2.0b4) will change the default ALIGN=LEFT attribute of all paragraph
and header elements to ALIGN=CENTER until a </CENTER> element is read.
Mosaic will also allow internally defined alignment attributes to take
precedence over a wrapping CENTER element. Mosaic authors would like to
encourage all HTML authors to conform to the HTML 3.0 way of centering HTML
and no longer use the non-standard <CENTER> element.