Images on the Web

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Fri Dec 8 16:08:08 EST 1995

>I am working on a Web publishing project that involves getting copyright

>permission for several images that we are using.  One of the

>copyright holders responded to me that we can use the image on the

>Web if it is in a "non-downloadable format".  I do not know of such a

>format; none of our tech folks here know of such a format.  Anybody

>out there know of such?  Please.

Well, what you've got here is a publisher that doesn't know how the web
works.  If I want to see an image on my web browser, step one is to copy it
to my computer--even if it's an inline image or a background.  With some
browsers, you can see the file names appear in your temp directory (I think
Netscape buries them in *.moz files in its cache directory).  Even if a user
is unaware of this, graphical operating environments usually let you capture
all or part of what's onscreen.

Ain't it scary that so much good content is controlled by people who haven't
even started learning what an electronic publishing environment is going to
do to them?

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK