Programmers and librarians

Andrea Drury adrury at teleport.com
Mon Dec 4 19:41:44 EST 1995

>...  A humanities background
>is just fine, but I  wish we had a little more diversity in the
>field than we do. We could use some more numbers people.

FWIW--
In 1976, while teaching math at a junior high school in Coralville (Iowa
City), Iowa, the library school at the University of Iowa placed an ad in
the local paper seeking applicants with "scientific and technical"
backgrounds.  Did they see what was coming or what?

I jumped at the chance, got my library degree, and have worked in special
libraries ever since.  My BA in math, including the programming classes
(Fortran in 1966 and a few others in grad school), my teaching experience,
and my library degree are a wonderful combination for me, especially given
what's what today.  I know of another librarian in Oregon who has a math
undergrad degree, and she's a medical librarian.  But, you're right, there
aren't many "numbers" people in our profession.

I currently work for a regional transit district and am leading the way on
our home page, which BTW, is at http://www.tri-met.org/.
Andrea Drury
Manager, Tri-Met Library
(503) 238-4814