[web4lib] WWW for Libraries

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Mon Dec 4 17:56:00 EST 1995

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Thomas Dowling wrote:

> Bing Wen writes:
>
> >I have read the techies and who-needs-whom discussions with interest.
> >But I guess it's time for us to stop here or move the dicussions to
> >another list so that those who joined the list solely for web4lib
>
> >stuff wouldn't have to delete extra unwanted messages. Thank you!
>
> I don't agree with this sentiment.  Since it's inception, Web4Lib has had a
> little trouble defining exactly what its scope is, but I certainly think
> that scope covers the political/administrative environment in which
> libraries create web sites (among other online services).  The common, and
> commonly adversarial, division between librarian-types and technical-types
> is clearly part of that environment.

I agree with Thomas but from a historical point of view. In the _old_
days PACS-L was unmoderated and had all sorts of wild discussion some
which was interesting and some which I didn't find interesting. At some
point some one started the usual noise-to-signal discussion and PACS-L
became moderated which essentially killed the listserv. There is almost
nothing on that list that does not have the hand of the moderator in it.
Voice was stilled, the list as in info source dries up. Lots of Position
announcements but if you want to discuss something you go to usenet or
web4lib.

If you don't like the header or the first sentence you press the _d_ key.
I _d_ half the list but I'm a subscriber for the other half. Eye of the
beholder??

--Thom