Changing error messages

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu
Mon Dec 4 09:04:29 EST 1995

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
> [Commentary on those lovely httpd error messages, and whether you can
> change them deleted]

Depends on the server.  I know that with the Apache server (Unix-based),
you can let it spew out its default messages (the ones that amount to
someone jumping up and shouting "Wrong!"), or you can tell it to send
specific text or documents in response to different types of errors.

When we did a major overhaul of the UMSM web site last month, we
redirected all "document not found" requests to a page that points users
to the new intro page.

However, you seem to be on a Mac, and I must claim total ignorance of any
Mac-based server software.

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu           Louis Calder Memorial Library