LONG::We still _need_ each other... (Was Oregon again...)

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Dec 1 09:08:08 EST 1995

At 08:18 PM 11/30/95 -0800, Susan Charkes wrote:
>William Crosbie wrote:
>

>>The truth of the matter is that we need each other.  Computer scientists,
>>such as myself, need to be involved in making sure that the systems that are
>>designed are easy to use, robust, and meet the needs of patrons and
>>librarians.  Librarians need to be open to the notion that other disciplines

>Computing technology is ubiquitous.  There is no reason that computers need
>to be planned for, designed, used, programmed or exploited solely by
>computer scientists.

I never meant to say that computer scientists would be the sole developers
of technology.  When that happens you get very efficient (or not so
efficient) computer systems that don't do the end user any good.  ;-)  What
lies behind my words is the notion of team work.  People from different
disciplines coming together and putting together systems that make a
difference in how we access information.

> Librarians need to think about technology as
>something we possess and control, not something that we can use but know
>nothing about.

I agree with you.  End users, in general, need to take this stance.  I think
we might be approaching  the problem from two differnet angles, though.
This thread stemmed from my explaining  that this library has hired a micro
computer analyst (me).  What I can bring to this library is a different way
of looking at processes and problems.  In working with my-coworker who is a
librarian, we have begun to formulate an experiment to perform MDS requests
throughout our system using a form based front end, a relational database
backend for tracking purposes and MIME encoded e-mail.  She understands
conceptually what is necessary for this to happen, can see the benefits of
it, will be the prime user of it, and consequently will control the
development of the look and feel of this product.  It falls to me put the
different pieces together in such a way that it works to her satisfaction.
I do _not_ think that she should be burdened with the details of how it gets
done.  The key is that she is a partner in every step of building this solution.

> Computer scientists need to design technologies that users
>(not just end-users) can exploit for creative purposes. Thw Web is a prime
>example of the results of that kind of approach.  The kind of

While I agree in principle, the reality is that the Web is undergoing a
dramatic change.  While anyone can mark-up text to make web pages, fewer are
able to create pages that are easy to navigate.  Fewer still are able to
make them interactive in the most rudimenatry fashion (forms).  And now with
Netscape's scripting language, VRML, ties to Macromedia Director, and Java
washing over the web, there stands to be yet another band added to the
heirarchy of development.  Some will take the time necessary to learn these
new technologies and make the jump to the next level.  Others will choose to
partner with those who already have this knowledge to achieve the desired
effect.  Neither way is better than the other, just different paths to the
same desired outcome.  My experience has been that when partnering with
other disciplines, I learn more about the way the members of that discipline
approach a task.  Hopefully they learn from me, as well.

>cross-disciplinary teamwork described here may tend to encourage insular
>thinking (it's not MY job to understand this technology) whereas
>interdisciplinary work (eg librarians as managers of technology) will
>encourage innovation.

I agree with you that it _could_ encourage insular thinking, but I don't
think that it is inevitable.  Personnally, I believe it has more to do with
the individuals involved in the project.

Of course, these are my opinions and I am open to other ideas and opinions,
as well.

 "For my purpose holds to sail		Bill Crosbie
   beyond the sunset, and the baths	Microcomputer/Network Analyst
   of all the western stars,	  	Rutgers University-Chang Library
   until I die."    ~ Tennyson		crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
    					(908) 932-0305 x114