Images on the Web and Copyright

Donald A. Barclay dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu
Sat Dec 9 15:49:21 EST 1995

I don't have an answer for the question about non-downloadable formats,
but I have a suggestion for some reading that may be of interest to
Web4Lib folks:

     Stowe, David W. "Just Do It."  <<Lingua Franca>> 6(10) Nov-Dec.
           1995: 32-42.

Stowe aruges that scholarly writers and publishers are too timid about
invoking the Fair Use clause of the copyright laws and advocates
challenging copyright holders more boldly than scholars now do.  Thought
Stowe's article is focused on print, the kind of copyright issues he talks
about apply to the "publishing" librarians do on the web.

I think the article is provocative reading.  And though I agree with
Stowe's arguments, I'm not giving any legal advice here. I'm not sure I
want to end up facing a firing squad at Disneyland for violating Unca
Walt's copyright.

Donald A. Barclay
New Mexico State University Library     always the beautiful answer
dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu                   who asks a more beautiful question
                                                    --e.e. cummings