60 Minute Guide to Java and new and improved Tog!!

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Sat Dec 9 15:07:58 EST 1995

Just received IDG's "60 Minute Guide to Java." Looks like a decent book
but anyone who buys this book because of the 60 minute part should
already have a degree in computer science and should be programming C++
on a daily basis. Even then they will be hard put to finish 252 pages in
60 minutes. Heck, I can't read Elmore Leonard that quickly and I even
know what is coming!

And then there is SAMS Java in 21 days which is probably more reasonable,
particularly for folks new to programming in general with only a
background in html. Their Perl in 21 days is probably the best Perl intro
for _new_ users on the market at least thru day 9.

Maybe more interesting is Bruce Tognazzini's "Tog on Software Design." I
use his "Tog on Interface" for system design at the moment because his
examples are all drawn from very practical work he's done and it is on
the money if you actually decide to apply it rather than read it on the
StairMaster -- it actually is good enough to read at level 6, on manual,
for 30 minutes, which is the max that my Y lets me hoard.

The essence of Tog on Software Design centers around Sun's Starfire
project where they use Tog's _scenario_ based design approach to
brainstorm various future scenarios. There is a little on Java and
applets for those thinking low level, but if you want to think hog-wild
about the future you'll get a lot from Future Computing, Applying
Starfire, Understanding Users, A Garden of Design. The book actually uses
and talks about the _L_ word which is more than you can say for any of
the Java books I read so far (3).

I think for anyone seriously dealing, as opposed to thinking, about the
problems of information design and access whether in a library, a
bookstore, or a corporation, this book will be very useful.

Tog on Software Design
Bruce Tognazzini
Addison-Wesley
ISBN 0-201-48917-1
$29.95

[There is also a StarFire: The Directors" cut video I have ordered for
$9.95 which _illustrates_ many of the chapters. I'll get it in a week and
post a review]

--Thom

p.s. Java who? Java the Hut?