The lonliness of the GUI designer

Susan Rabe rabe at crlmail.uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 2 11:49:00 EST 1995

In Message Fri, 1 Dec 1995 20:09:39 -0800,
  kschneid at umich.edu (Karen G. Schneider) writes:

[snip]
And I would submit we need to learn more than "what to give to
>programmers"--we need to know enough about programmers and programming to
>interact with them more intelligently than dumping stuff in their lap and
>coming back a year later to say, "hey, that's not usable!"

I agree whole heartedly with all your comments, Karen.  I'd like to add one.
It works the other way too.  Programmers need to learn more about what to
give librarians.  (What an opening for slams!)  A friend of mine repeats the
maxim "Let's hold hands while crossing the street."  as a metaphor for life.
 It works for programmers and librarians, too.
Susan M. Rabe
Collection Resources Bibliographer
Center for Research Libraries
6050 S. Kenwood Ave.