[Web4lib] Koha

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Sat Sep 25 10:16:02 EDT 2010

I really like the idea of libraries owning their catalogs again. Librarians
have really gotten into a wag-the-dog relationship with vendors. Practically
every intellectual aspect is being outsourced.

I am sure that current library school curriculums are addressing this to a
certain degree. But, when I finished Library School there were cataloging
courses that taught MARC and theory and how to interact with III and Dynix.
There were courses that taught you how to interact with proprietary
databases - Dialog, Proquest etc.  But, there were not any courses that
taught you how to build your own catalog.  I don't think any open source
products such as Koha were available, so it really would not have been
feasible to teach catalog building.

But, why shouldn't librarians be trained to be able to develop systems
independent of vendors?  I have worked with many vendors and heard many,
many, many complaints regarding user interfaces, cost, and stability. Yet,
librarians could only complain and offer more money for solutions to these
proprietary, profit driven systems that may (or may not) suck.

I really like Thomas's idea.  Keep up the good work.  I would like to see
new librarians able to step into impoverished and /or non-automated library
environments and able to offer an in house intellectual solution that does
not involve forever being owned by vendors.

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm