[Web4lib] Enhanced "e-book" service?!

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafayette.edu
Mon Oct 11 14:24:29 EDT 2010

At 10:41 AM 10/11/2010, you wrote:
>No, I intended to ask whether any libraries do this to their
>collections? Or don't opacs allow imbedded buttons like "search within
>this book"? I don't know, I'm just a journalist.

Still not clear what you're asking -- what's the "this" in "do
this"?  I saw a guy scanning ISBNs from the backs of books so he
could build a MyLibrary list in GBS.  Do we scan ISBNs from the backs
of books to create MyLibrary lists in GBS?  Probably not (especially
since most OPAC records include ISBNs and most book backs don't).  Do
we offer "search within this book" features for books in our
collection?  Depends on the library, but most likely not.  Do we
offer "search within this book at Google Books" features or other
links to Google Books content?  Yes, and (I think) it's fairly common to do so.

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian
Editor of IT Communications