[Web4lib] Ebooks and IPad

Melanie Kelly melaniekelly at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 14:08:30 EST 2010

Hello everyone,

I am a library student in a library technology class.  One of the papers I
did this semester was on how e-readers might change the library automation
marketplace. As I was doing my research, I discovered that 1.) a lot of
libraries are lending e-books through overdrive or lending actual e-readers,
and 2.) e-books from overdrive do not work on the IPad.

There have been a few stories about this on NPR as well.

It's all a little disappointing because I have an IPad that I don't know if
I will ever be able to borrow library books for.  My question to the group
is twofold-- are any libraries currently experimenting with the iPad, either
as a in house staff device, or lending it to patrons like some libraries
have done with the kindle.  2.) is there anything in the works about an app
that will get library e-books onto the IPad?

--
Melanie Kelly

"Welcome , O life! I go to encounter, for the millionth time, the reality of
experience, and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience
of my race."
--James Joyce.