[Web4lib] late day questions - VPN

Klish, Heather J Heather.Klish at tufts.edu
Wed Nov 24 12:53:29 EST 2010

We had trouble with our old VPN here at Tufts because of the way IP addresses were assigned.  When connecting to the VPN, an IP was assigned dynamically within our campus IP range.  When a user tried to access library resources, EZProxy saw an on-campus IP and passed the user through without authenticating. However, resources still saw the user as coming from an off-campus IP - which I believe was the user's router IP.  We had to tell people not to use the VPN while accessing library resources which wasn't very popular.

We recently moved to a new VPN (Juniper Networks - web and client) but still had the same issue.  After talking to our campus IT folks I found out that they have it set up so that all VPN IP addresses are assigned on a particular subnet.  This allowed us to add the address to our EZProxy config file using the IncludeIP statement.  Now, all users who use the VPN while accessing library resources have to authenticate as if they were off-campus but this has alleviated the issue we were having.

Heather

Heather Klish
Systems Librarian
University Library Technology Services