[Web4lib] Submission Request: ILS-OSS Research Project

Vandana Singh utk.ils.research at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:50:38 EDT 2009

As part of an IMLS funded Early Career Research Grant, Dr. Vandana Singh
(Assistant Professor, School of Information Sciences at University of
Tennessee-Knoxville) is working on a 3 year research project that will
compare the technical support for Open Source Integrated Library Systems
with proprietary Integrated Library Systems.

In phase 1 of this research project, we are collecting data regarding the
expectations of librarians for technical support and the available channels
of technical support. We will identify the expectations of librarians about
technical support for ILS (both open source software and proprietary
software. And, we will assess the effectiveness of the current channels and
processes for technical support in satisfying the expectations of the
librarians.

At this stage, we are looking for participants interested in contributing to
this study. If you would be willing to participate in the study or can make
some recommendations for potential participants that would be greatly
appreciated. At this time, the only information we are soliciting is:

   1. Are you currently using an ILS?
   2. Are you using an open source or proprietary ILS?
   3. What type of library are you working in? (School, Public, Academic,
   Special, etc.)
   4. Is your library in rural area or urban?
   5. Would you be willing to participate in this study? (Participation
   entails responding to survey questions administered electronically and/or
   participating in interviews).

If you are interested in the general description and progress of the
project, you can find more information at

*http://web.utk.edu/~vandana/ILSResearch.html*

You can also direct any queries or suggestions to *
utk.ils.research at gmail.com* <utk.ils.research at gmail.com>.