[Web4lib] RE: Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles (UNCLASSIFIED)

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 00:03:41 EDT 2009

This particular direction of the discussion is really important in several
ways.  I don't happen to know if Kindle's electronic access extends to
Australia, but suppose for the sake of discussion that it does.  Now...
Suppose I am from Australia and I turn on my Kindle and get my copy of
Orwell's works while still in Australia. Did Amazon delete my copy too?  Did
they delete it once I came within range of their US network?  Should they
have?   What if I am from Australia and happen to receive my copy of Animal
Farm while visiting the U.S.?  In this latter case it is easy to invent
arguments that the US is the point of sale and thus subject to US copyright
laws.  However, all this begs the general question of where the point of
sale is deemed to be and how jurisdiction is determined.  If I am on a
cruise ship in International waters (and my cruise ship is equipped somehow
-- and it could be even if this is not now available) to update my Kindle
...  then how is jurisdiction determined?
What this points out is that in the modern world there are intractable
conflicts between reality and idealized notions of enforceability of private
rights.  It has never been more important than it is right now to champion
the notion that information and ideas must end up in the public domain in
reasonable time in order for freedom and democracy to flourish -- but also
even to promote brisk innovation!  As some here have pointed out, current
patent and copyright laws arguably stifle innovation as much as they promote
it. And by the way, if you follow patent developments you know that this is
under review in light of the Bilski case (did I remember the spelling
correctly) which was, last I checked, on track to be reviewed by the Supreme
Court.

I agree completely, by the way, that the copyright law which extends
copyright protection to estate beneficiaries is incredibly stupid and
counterproductive -- be sure to thank your elected official of the past who
made this happen.

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592