[Web4lib] Call for Proposals - Michigan Library Association 2009 Annual Conference

Kevin McDonough kmcdonou at nmu.edu
Mon Jan 19 13:24:05 EST 2009

The Michigan Library Association is seeking proposals from librarians for
the 2009 Annual Conference, November 3-6, at the Lansing Center & Radisson
Hotel, Lansing, MI.  Last year we received only 16 proposals from academic
librarians and we would like to see that number increase.   Of course,
proposals from librarians at public, school, and special libraries will be
readily considered.  Proposals are due by February 20.  Please see the
conference web site for more information:
<http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/node/934> http://www.mla.lib.mi.us/node/934

The conference theme is "Ready, Set, Go!", which reflects MLA's new
strategic focus on the future and the energy, talent, and enthusiasm that
will result in improved library services for the citizens of Michigan.  This
conference will also pay tribute to our association's incredibly rich
history that dates back to 1891.

For academic librarians, please consider some of the ideas listed below to
stimulate your thinking.

*New ideas or research that contribute to ongoing discussion about the
future of academic and research libraries

*Libraries role in shaping scholarly communication

*Innovative library instruction or information literacy incorporating
assessment, active learning, faculty/librarian collaboration, etc.

*Innovative library services, such as embedded librarianship, RSS feeds of
new books, mashups, etc.

*Community partnerships

*Innovative Library/Web 2.0 implementations

*Gaming

*Implementations of open source software

*User studies or information seeking behavior and the resulting changes made
to user services or procedures

*Digital libraries, including developments in resource linking,
preservation, maintenance, web services

*Web design, such as information architecture, activity-centered design,
user-centered design, usability testing, etc.

*Authentication and authorization, including Digital Rights Management
(DRM), authentication, privacy, and issues with remote patrons.

*Internet privacy, copyright, and filtering

Thanks much,

Kevin McDonough

Electronic Services Librarian

Olson Library, Northern Michigan University

Marquette, MI 49885

906-227-2118