[Web4lib] Obama and the Checkerboard Buddha

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Sun Jan 18 14:56:45 EST 2009

If you're interested in Photosynth, check out the TED talk with Blaise
Aguera y Arcas zooming in and around Notre Dame, a 3D model emerging
from thousands of casual snapshots.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/blaise_aguera_y_arcas_demos_photosynth.html

The larger message is the now familiar idea of collective, networked
metadata arising from individual action:

"We can do things with the social environment--this is now taking data
from everybody, from the entire collective memory of what the earth
looks like--and link all that together... and they make something
emergent, something that is greater than the parts. ... And this is
something that grows in complexity as people use it and whose benefits
get greater as people use it."

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding