[Web4lib] FW: Troubleshooting Google Scholar Resolver, JSTOR metada and 360 Link [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Dyer, Renata Renata.Dyer at treasury.gov.au
Wed Apr 22 19:49:37 EDT 2009

Sorry for cross-posting; I have posted this message on the NGC4Lib e-forum but thought I'll do it here too just to hear thoughts from this group.

We subscribe to Serials Solutions 360 Link service and have, amongst other resources, linked JSTOR  and Google Scholar holdings to it.

The problem we are experiencing as of February this year is that when JSTOR holdings are recognised by the Scholar, the 360 Link is bringing up a citation screen containing only title and a weird looking DOI and and error message saying DOI is invalid. JSTOR support confirmed that the Scholar is misinterpreting article metadata (read: DOI) and that they will try to resolve it with Serials Solutions and Google.

In the meantime my patrons are clicking on the Google Scholar link that shows an error citation screen and does not take them to a full text as it should! Of course if they click on the linked title they'll go straight to the JSTOR article but we tried so hard to train our client to use the Findit link in Scholar every time they see it  and now they are having this very frustrating experience.

Is anyone else experiencing problem with JSTOR holdings and other Open URL resolvers?
I reported this error to all three parties: Serials Solutions, JSTOR and Google Scholar in recent months.While they all acknowledged a problem - it still has not been resolved.

I am getting so annoyed with this - the service was meant to be a great discovery tool for our collections but I am spending too much time troubleshooting and in this instance with no positive response so far.

Anyway, I just thought I'll flag this problem to the e-list - it is good to be aware how many risks are associated with third party products that should be compatible with other various services and the issues we have to deal with in the libraries when this is not the case.

Cheers,
Renata Dyer
Acting Library Manager
Information Services - Treasury
Langton Cres, Parkes, ACT, Australia
ph: +61 2 62632736
e: renata.dyer at treasury.gov.au<mailto:renata.dyer at treasury.gov.au>

Please Note: The information contained in this e-mail message
and any attached files may be confidential information and
may also be the subject of legal professional privilege.  If you are
not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this
e-mail is unauthorised.  If you have received this e-mail by error
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this transmission together with any attachments.