[Web4lib] Multiple Languages for IE7

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Sep 23 14:26:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Andrew wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> I just went through this exercise on our public computers running IE 7 on
> Windows XP:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx
>
> Since I'm supporting a lot less than 500 computers, I did this manually. I
> think what you want to explore is the Multilingual User Interface feature from
> MS:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx

A critical differentiation here: the MUI feature is about adding
multilingual Windows menus, dialog boxes, and other user interface items
to a system. This would allow a Chinese user, for instance, to have
Chinese menus. This is NOT necessary for IE to display Chinese.

The technique I posted is enough to allow display and printing of Far East
characters (subject, as you point out, to policy/lockdown restrictions).
Another step that may be needed is installation of Input Method Editors
(IMEs), which are needed if a user wants to use the keyboard to type in
CJK characters.

If you want to be REALLY thorough, you could take additional steps:

1) Input tablets and character recognition software to allow users to
hand-write their CJK characters. I believe all needed software is now
provided by Windows, although some elements of MS Office may be required,
I'm not sure. This is the setup I saw in a public library in Hong Kong a
few years ago, on PCs available to the public. Keyboards were tucked away.

2) Chinese (e.g.) text-to-speech.

3) Chinese (e.g.) speech recognition.

But then your library might get noisy...

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA