[Web4lib] Campus without library - summing up

Even Flood even.flood at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 08:47:44 EST 2008

Folks,

Thanks for the help and response! Here is a summing up of what I have learned

1) The original discussion goes back to 1995 and the announcement that
the California State University Monterey Bay would be built without a
physical library. The plans were commented in Newsweek and lambasted
by Cliff Stoll, and the CSUMB learned the error of their ways. The
library was built and a new library buidling is to open on December
1st this year. Congratulations to them! See http://library.csumb.edu/.

Two other project have been mentioned: University of Minnesota
Rochester, http://www.r.umn.edu/01_about.htm, looks like a small
university and with no physical library. The Kingsport Center for
Higher Education, http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9005970, is
under constructiion and will not have a library. Opens in 2009. Let us
see how long they last.

Again thanks! If I have missed anything, please say so.

Even

--
Even Hartmann Flood,  Senior Academic Librarian
Ilevollen 3e
even.flood at gmail.com
http://home.broadpark.no/~evflood/
"Come, and take choice of all my library, and so  beguile thy sorrow."
                                (Shakespeare)