[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Feb 4 14:00:44 EST 2008

> I reject the notion that a particular Web site needs to keep up with
> fashion
> or hew to a particular style.  I don't care if a given Web site looks
> like
> it was designed on an Underwood typewriter if the words ring true.  Sure,
> you appreciate savvy design, but wise words are wise words.  I doubt
> Gandhi
> would be doing PowerPoint if he were alive today.

Um... did you really put PowerPoint and usability in the same paragraph?
;)

I most emphatically embrace the notion that a website "needs to keep up
with fashion." Aesthetics matter; so does emotional content. The design
is part of the message. We want people to enjoy our websites -- to
linger on them and to feel better about us because of them.  (And
because you're a good guy I know you won't translate that to "Karen
hates usability and thinks websites should be built with Flash.")

Also, in terms of Nielsen's site, his site wasn't just ugly (imho, still
is), but for a very long time, it was hard to read. You shouldn't have
to move your head to read the text on a webpage, or squint your way
through long undifferentiated paragraphs in a san serif font.  If you
want to be an authority on something, then walk the walk. I know, it's
scandalous cuz he's been the Man when it comes to usability, but I am
not alone in this opinion (and in fact I came to that opinion All By
Myself and was quite relieved to find out just how not-alone I was...
and how LONG I've not been alone!).

To the extent that there's an unfortunate gulf between graphic designers
and usability experts, Nielsen has not helped close that gap.

This does not mean that Nielsen hasn't contributed a lot to the web
world or that he won't continue to do so. But you either believe
aesthetics are part of functionality, or you don't. I do.

K.G. Schneider
kgs at freerangelibrarian.com