[Web4lib] OpenOffice

jimm wetherbee jimm at wingate.edu
Wed Apr 2 12:51:07 EDT 2008

Jane Frasier wrote:
> Is anyone using this on staff computers? We are poised to buy licenses
> of MS Office 2007 and someone in our organization suggested using this
> instead.
Our library lab (as the campus in general) uses Office 2007 and most of
the staff here hates it. I use OO on my office computer and am quite
happy with it (but will have to add Office 2007 to my computer
eventually just so I can answer patron's questions better).  Word
Processing and Spreadsheet are (IMHO) the strongest part of the OO
suite.  It really depends how invested you are in the Microsoft suite.
For instance, we are on Voyager and so must use Access in one of the
modules.  You may also find that some of the formatting will not
translate well from Office 2003 to OO.  The latter can range to slightly
annoying to downright painful.  I am also unsure how well OO translates
Microsoft's new *x format.

Since it's free, there should be no harm in downloading it and seeing
for yourself.

--jimm

Jimm Wetherbee                 | jimm at wingate.edu
Information Systems Librarian  | Voice: 704-233-8092
E.K. Smith Library             | Fax:   704-233-8254
Wingate University             | http://library.wingate.edu/staff/jmw/
Wingate, NC 28174              | lux et fides