[Web4lib] Moving AWSTATS to a new server

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 23:02:41 EDT 2007

Hi Nina,

AWStats takes its info directly from your server's log files and
creates its own file based on the stats.  It parses the logs
periodically (once a day, or whenever you click the 'update' button)
and adds the numbers it gets to its internal counts.  This file
should be in plain text, so it's very simple to back up.

When you move servers, then, you should do two things:
1. Make sure you pull over the file with AWStats' records in it and
2. Make sure AWStats knows where on your system to find your server
logs, and that your server is formatting its logs correctly.

If you're using the same version on your old and new systems, your
data should remain intact and it should begin happily parsing the
data once again.

More specific info can be found here:
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html

Specifically: