RE: [Web4lib] prove that library 2.0 isn´t usele ss

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Tue Nov 6 11:19:08 EST 2007

Greetings,

How did it come about that there is a consensus
that libraries are now 'service oriented' entities?

When librarians created card catalogs that guided us
to materials that they collected, categorized, processed,
and arranged - the focus was on products with added value.
The catalog card is a physical product. The bibliographic
citation itself is an intellectual product.  The material
that it references - bound, tagged, and labeled - is a
product.  Without those things, the library does not exist.

It seems to me that 2.0 technologies are also intellectual
products - sometimes expanding functionality of bibliographic
citations that may enhance service - but in essence
still products.

As librarians give up creation of bibliographic citations,
catalogs, websites, 2.0 technologies and the like to for-profit
interests it seems that all that will be left over is 'service'.

I know many new librarians who are ready, willing, and able
to be productive innovators.  Does a consensus of those who
are unwilling to embrace innovation and change and are satisfied
with just facilitating a service mean that they will
never have the chance?

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-441-5763
Skype: RBalliot