RE: [Web4lib] prove that library 2.0 isn´t usele ss

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Nov 4 14:53:19 EST 2007

John Fereira wrote:

> To do that a better definition of ROI is required.  What exactly
> is the return?  Libraries are essentially a services oriented
> "business".

I recently discussed the Google Book Search project with a library
person.  It's amazing how much money Google is investing in
scanning books, and the library person was quite envious.

It struck me then, that librarians are used to see funding and
investment as a resource.  The more you get, the happier you are.
The book scanning people at Google get more money, so they must be
happier than people at most libraries.  We got funding.  Yay!

But in the commercial world, where Google operates, an investment
is a debt, something you will one day be required to pay back and
with an interest.  If you can manage a project with less funding,
you're all the merrier, because the sooner and easier will you be
able to reach break-even and return a profit.  It is indeed
worrisome that Google makes such large investments in book
scanning.  How on earth are they going to recover those costs?
By closing down the entire thing to paying subscribers?

Perhaps these different views on "investment" is something that
should be kept in mind when discussing "return on investment".

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)