[Web4lib] Browsers to test

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:35:22 EDT 2007

> It's pretty much impossible to get modern browsers and legacy browsers to
> agree on the same code.  Browsers such as NS4 should be obsoleted ASAP, same
> with IE4 and possibly IE5.  If you absolutely need to support these
> browsers, you're probably better off redirecting them to a bare-bones,
> text-only version of the site.

How about coding for modern browsers and hiding the styles from
browsers or devices whoch don't support them?  Not only does this
avoid the maintenance issues of a duplicate version of a site, but a
site which can be used without its CSS will also make it easier for
speech browsers and devices with limited CSS support (cell phones
etc.)

> You should ensure you support at least one browser on the three major
> operating systems.  Nothing bugs me more than a Windows-only website!
> Firefox 2 is a definite since it's on all three (FF1 is a maybe - any
> computer that can run FF2 can run FF1), Safari, Konquerer, and Opera.

While not everyone has access to a Mac, an old PC which is too slow
for modern applications might still be able to run the latest version
of the Kubuntu Linux distribution so you could test with Konqueror.
If that's all you want to do with it, you don't have to know anything
about Linux to set it up.

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive