[Web4lib] U.Va. Library website design review

John Loy jml4n at virginia.edu
Wed May 9 12:05:29 EDT 2007

We've just posted a draft of a new design for the U.Va. Library
homepage at <http://lab.lib.virginia.edu>, and would really
appreciate any suggestions and comments on it from the Web4Lib
community.

Please keep in mind that this is very much a work-in-progress, and
several things aren't working yet, most notably the search box. Most
of the links in this version work, but they will take you to the
site's current live pages, not ones reflecting the new design. The
design concept; including typography, colors, layout, and other
visual elements; will be applied before long to templates for the
rest of the site. Those templates will be included in the next
posting to our online "Lab".

In the rush to get the page up by our deadline, we haven't tested
very thoroughly. So the html and CSS may not completely validate yet,
the CSS may not render quite right in older browsers like IE5, and
we've undoubtedly not covered every accessibility detail.

We've also started a blog at <http://uvalibwebdev.wordpress.com/>
where you can find out what's coming next in our design process,
learn about the technology running behind the site, and get links to
sites in which we're finding inspiration.

Please send feedback to webmanager_library at virginia.edu. If you
respond to the list, please Cc that address.

Many thanks,
--
John Loy
Web Designer