[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data(wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed May 9 11:28:04 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 10:34, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Walker, David wrote:
> > A system like that would not only be as easy to use as Google,
> > it would be in many ways better, since it would be tailored to
> > our community,
>
> So cut down on the words and show me a URL where this has been
> proven.

This is not proof but given time...

Shouldn't be to difficult to make an easy and intuitive solution for a great
number of users, granted not all users,  with Zotero
( http;//www.zotero.org/ ) and Libx ( http://www.libx.org/ ).  Although this
restritcts itself to one browser, Firefox.  Zotero is beta and several
libraries are only testing Libz but as I said 'given time...'.

Zotero  Features:
     Automatic capture of citation information from web pages
    Storage of PDFs, files, images, links, and whole web pages
    Flexible notetaking with autosave
    Fast, as-you-type search through your materials
    Playlist-like library organization, including saved searches (smart
collections) and tags
    Platform for new forms of digital research that can be extended with other
web tools and services
    Runs right in your web browser
    Formatted citation export (style list to grow rapidly)
    Free and open source
    Integration with Microsoft Word
    Saves records and notes in any language; interface available in Austrian
German Bulgarian Brazilian Portuguese Chinese (Simplified) Chinese
(Traditional) French German Italian Japanese Korean Dutch Norwegian Serbian
Spanish Swiss German Turkish US English with more on the way
    Integration with WordPress

  Not yet implemented:
    Integration with other word processors
    Integration with other Blogging software
    Remote library backup
    Shared collections
    Access your library from anywhere via the web
    Recommendation engine and RSS feeds
    Wide variety of import/export options

LibX Features
    *      Toolbar & right-click context menu:
    *      Adaptive context menus:
    *      OpenURL support:
    *      Google Scholar Support (The 'Magic Button'):
    *      Web Localization via Embedded Cues
    *      Autolinking:
    *      Off-campus access via EZProxy or WAM:
    *      Support for COinS:
    *      Support for xISBN:
LibX was created by Annette Bailey and Godmar Back.

Thomas

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

If it's not as simple as possible to try it, then the barrier to entry is too
high.

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/