[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0data(wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Wed May 9 18:06:59 EDT 2007

I think that one other thing that should be considered is the
function of time.  If you look at the news today, Yahoo has
announced closure of two of its services.  The internet marketplace
changes very quickly.  Services come and go.

Yahoo! has ruled as a directory search, that is their
real strength.  In the general marketplace the numbers
dictate the content. The pressure to generate click through
revenue and sell to the mass audience to please stockholders
is going to apply constant pressure on all of the free services.

Whenever I have purchased for libraries, the focus has been
on permanence. You expect libraries to continue to exist over
time as repositories of information.  Although the free search
engines and their apis may be great, there is no guarantee of
permanence.

Was the information correct?  Maybe not.  Was it scholarly?
Maybe not. Were they satisfied with what they received?
Maybe so, because like high fructose corn syrup and
hydrogenated fat it was sweet, cheap and filling.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island