[Web4lib] Content management systems

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Fri Mar 23 16:44:57 EST 2007

This is a potentially bottomless discussion, and could probably use its own
list.

If you need or care about community support, then you should consider Joomla
or my preference, Drupal. These both have strong active development and
support communities.

If you have strong software development and support skills, as here do, then
the door is open to the myriad other FOSS CMS systems out their, like ModX.
I suppose that one of the reasons that esoteric systems like ModX can seem
so tightly focused is because they are developed by one person or a small
team with a vision.

For most libraries, almost any of these systems can be made to work, and
there is no absolute best choice. The challenge is finding the best fit of
capabilities and strengths with your organizations needs. With so many
choices, It often comes down to just picking one.  We did head to head
testing of the systems on the short list of those we liked, but we are
consultants and developers with the freedom and facilities to do that.

If you don't have that luxury, you should try some of these. Most of them
will run (for testing) on almost any hardware. If your technical resources
are slime, only try systems that have a one or two step install process.
Joomla is very easy to set up (albeit lacking in other areas, IMHO). If it
works for you, try building your site with it. With a good CMS, that should
be the easy part.

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company