[Web4lib] Drupal and wikis

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 11 10:51:37 EDT 2007

Wikis were originally designed to allow people to edit or add to a Web
site using simple plain text directly through their browser. It provides
some automatic full text indexing and fairly automatic managing of
links. Access is through following links or full text search. The
organization is basically hyper-textual or web-like and not hierarchical
with a navigation scheme. The Wiki look is basic html without many of
the visual features we now associate with the Web. Forms and tables are
not supported. Although images can usually be included the emphasis is
on text.

A content management system comes historically from corporate document
management systems. The main features are a central repository for
documents and other content and mechanisms for reusing and re-purposing
that content in multiple ways, allowing the same document to be
published as a Web page or a printable PDF or to allow bits and pieces
of content to be assembled in multiple ways. Content within the
repository is tracked by a work flow mechanism so that the creation and
editing of documents can be routed to people with different roles
(authors, editors, legal staff) before it is made publicly available.

Generally speaking a Wiki is designed to be more relaxed and free
flowing while a CMS is a more disciplined affair. A Wiki is designed to
grow a community dynamically. A CMS is designed to serve a pre-existing
institution.

That said, the two are gradually overlapping more and more. Many people
find a basic Wiki is too simple both in capability and many forms of
Wiki software have had a considerable number of features added on to
them to the point of approaching the capabilities of a content
management system.

On the other side, as the Web has risen in importance and Web sites have
grown to sizes difficult to manage, content management systems have
arisen that concentrate on publishing to the Web. The re-purposing and
transformation of content allows Web pages to be built from stored
content and presented via style sheets. This in turn means authors do
not have to know html to contribute a document. Many content management
systems today are incorporating Wikis and Blogs as things that can be
managed withing the CMS.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo