[Web4lib] Drupal and wikis

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 11 15:30:13 EDT 2007

At 10:51 AM 6/11/2007, Chris Gray wrote:
>Wikis were originally designed to allow people to edit or add to a
>Web site using simple plain text directly through their browser. It
>provides some automatic full text indexing and fairly automatic
>managing of links. Access is through following links or full text
>search. The organization is basically hyper-textual or web-like and
>not hierarchical with a navigation scheme. The Wiki look is basic
>html without many of the visual features we now associate with the
>Web. Forms and tables are not supported. Although images can usually
>be included the emphasis is on text.

Not all wikis are the same.  I've been using the Atlassian Confluence
project  for a couple of years and it does support a hierarchical
navigation scheme and tables.  Table support is rudimentary out of
the box but there are third party plugins that support tables much
better.   I've been actively involved as a developer on open source
projects for five years or so and Confluence has become the wiki of
choice for virtually every project I've encountered
recently.  Although it is a commercial product they have a free
license for open source projects as well as a free license for their
issue tracking system (Jira).   If you go to issues.apache.org you'll
see that the Apache Software Foundation is using Jira.  Codehaus.org
is using confluence to document all of the open source projects under
their umbrella.   I wouldn't use a wiki to develop an institutional
web presence but they've certainly evolved from a system which allows
text entry through a browser to create web based content.

John Fereira
jaf30 at cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY