[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

jennifer.kirton at dpi.nsw.gov.au jennifer.kirton at dpi.nsw.gov.au
Mon Jul 16 23:31:32 EDT 2007

I manage a small 5000 item research library in a government department.
With our services and journals now online, I never see anyone in the
library (which is in a separate building).  Researchers on site or in my
region, either email or phone me if they want something.  There are other
libraries in our department and most indicate that they seldom get any
visitors either.

As a library team, we recently made a decision to start using barcodes for
asset control and as part of our new library management system we hope to
get in 2008.

In amongst a lot of discussion, I suggested that after I had barcoded my
Dewey collection starting at the beginning (001), that from now on, I
would shelve all new and returning books according to their barcode
number, that is, at the end of the collection!!

The silence was so long, I thought I had dropped out of the
teleconference!!

My argument is that the research staff seldom come into the library, and
if they do, always ask me to help them anyway!  I have part-time help with
shelving, copying etc, and it is obvious that the Dewey system is a bit of
a mystery to her despite my best attempts, and maybe a running number
system might be easier!!  In my library, all that needs to happen is that
we can locate the book on the shelf as required, no one comes into
browse!!

Of course, I realise that my library situation is unique, and no, I wont
actually change the cataloguing/shelving system, as I myself do like to
browse the collection occasionally, but I have been finding this
discussion fascinating.

As for signs for "Ohio History", or "US Civil War", I did do this in a
previous (Dewey) library and it worked very well, so if possible, make the
time to do this for the more popular or unique sections in your library.
Even with my current collection, I have an explanation of the Dewey system
on the sides of the compactus.  As for staff/user recommendations on
books, when I think about it, I have been doing that verbally, or at least
mentally all my library career, "A book on veterinary pathology?  Try this
one, its quite good.".  So why not an additional catalogue entry or a
sticker/gold star on a book to indicate that others have found it
useful/interesting.

Finally, that the journalists wrote of their shock at no card catalogue
did not surprise me.  Unless they have taken their children into a library
recently, most likely their library experiences are of when they were at
college many years ago, or the library service they receive within their
own organisation which maybe like mine, an online and/or "seamless"
experience without them needing to search a catalogue.  I know many of my
staff don't, they ask me for the book, and I search the catalogue!!

As always, thanks to everyone for a thought provoking discussion, I've
enjoyed it.

Jennifer Kirton
Library
NSW Department of Primary Industries
Wollongbar Agricultural Institute
1243 Bruxner Highway
Wollongbar
New South Wales  2477
Australia
jennifer.kirton at dpi.nsw.gov.au
ph +61 2 6626 1321
fax  +61 2 6628 3264

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.