[Web4lib] Adding/building permalinks to full-text articles

Scott Warren Scott_Warren at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 2 15:48:49 EST 2007

Tito Sierra and Josh Boyer here at NCSU put together an article linking
service much as you describe. See http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/librarylinker/

Scott Warren

Jon Ritterbush wrote:
> Happy new year, everyone...  Over the past couple weeks, our library has
> been working on a project to help faculty members generate and embed
> permanent links, or permalinks, to full-text articles from our subscription
> databases.  The problem here and at my previous place of work has been
> explaining how to prefix a proxy string to the front of these article-level
> URLs (e.g.
> http://eres.regent.edu:2048/login?url=http://somedatabase.com/yadayada...)
>
> Has anyone out there developed a better mousetrap to allow users to generate
> these kinds of permalinks WITH a proxy string?
>
> TO ANY DATABASE VENDORS: one idea might be to enable individual libraries to
> embed these proxy prefixes to article-level links.  For example, a library
> administrator could insert the prefix http://proxy.library.edu... into some
> field in a database admin site.  This prefix would then be appended to any
>
> I think EBSCO and ProQuest already make a permalink available to users, they
> just lack the proxy prefix for off-campus access by authenticated users.
> Librarians who administer their Serials Solutions setup will understand what
> I'm talking about here, since SerSol already does this...
>
> Thanks for any feedback or other suggestions!
>
> Jon

> Jon Ritterbush, MLS           Voice: 757-226-2985
> Reference Librarian           Fax:  757-226-4167
> Regent University             Email: jritterbush at regent.edu
> 1000 Regent University Drive  IM: comartslibrarian (AOL/MSN/Yahoo/Meebo)
> Virginia Beach, VA 23464      Blog: http://comartslibrarian.wordpress.com

Scott Warren, M.A. LIS
Assistant Head
Textiles Library and Engineering Services
North Carolina State University Libraries
Box 8301
Raleigh, NC 27695-8301
919-515-6602 (phone)
919-515-3926 (fax)