[Web4lib] Adding/building permalinks to full-text articles

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 2 15:58:52 EST 2007

I don't entirely understand what you're doing, but if all they need to
do is take a URL they already know or have found, and prepend the proxy
string, then one possibility is making a 'bookmarklet' that prepends the
string for them. That is, generally, some javascript code you have them
bookmark. Such a thing will work in any browser. They go look at the URL
they want, they click the bookmarklet, it prepends the string for them.
An example, from where I used to go to school, used for proxy-fying a
URL for other purposes, is here:
http://www.lib.washington.edu/help/proxyTools.html

Another much trickier possibility, if you can customize your link
resolver, would be to add this to your link resolver menu. I thought of
this reading your suggestion for db vendors. Most dbs will already give
your users a link to your link resolver for every article. What if the
link resolver menu then gave the user the "perma-link"? You'd have to be
able to customize your link resolver screen (with SFX this could easily
be done)--but it's tricky beyond that too (how does the link resolver
know what URL to proxy-fy? The referer url?  Not quite. Hmm.) So not
sure if it could be done, and it would take some in-house skill to pull
off, but if you could this seems an even better solution to me. Then you
just tell your users to click on the link resolver icon they are
probably already familiar with, and it'll give them the perma-link there.

(I'm curious, is proxy-fying the url all you are doing to make it into a

Jonathan