[Web4lib] The Wikipedia Gotcha -- a cosmic perspective

Marion Sumerianlibrarian marionsumerianlibrarian at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 14:18:02 EST 2007

snip:

> Personally, the email-list format (using local
> filing rules) works fine
> for me.  I'll be interested in the resulting
> resource you create, as I
> can see possible benefits; but I think the ease of
> use of email lists
> will be a difficult "barrier" to surmount.
>
> Good luck,
>
> -Aaron

thanks for your reply.

i'm very interested to know if you can you point to a
single instance where an email format has carried the
wikipedia discussion forward in either a productive or
creative way?

overall, i find the same issues are hashed, rehashed,
and rehashed again, and again, over a long period of
time on various listservs.

no, frankly, i don't see how email has helped to even
define the issues, let alone advance them. i may be
very wrong, but would like to see evidence of it.

then again, the discussion around "how to discuss the
wikipedia phenomenon -- and its various permutations.
what would be the best format?" is yet another
pertinent example of the dialog that needs to be
addressed in a more organized, productive, and
creative manner.

thanks again for your response, m