[Web4lib] Code4lib 2008 Minority Scholarship

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Tue Dec 18 10:04:38 EST 2007

>You know, I just don't get this.  How can anyone think that these
>kinds of awards can do anything to counter racism or sexism?  What
>would we think of an award for which only white people were available,
>or only men?  Why would reverse discrimination be any better?  It's
>patronising at best and actively divisive at worst.

I went through some hoops in 2002 to try to bring someone from an AIDS
clinic in South Africa to a library conference in North America under a
government program to support diversity, and I remember well from my
limited amount of research that the evidence was overwhelming that these
kind of scholarships are beneficial.  The particular program I targeted
required a lead time of one year, had never actually been awarded, and I
was ultimately unsuccessful. I think Oregon State University should be
applauded for offering an option that is both low barrier for applications
and is as agile as the code4lib conference itself.

art
---
Art Rhyno
Systems Librarian