[Web4lib] Add to Google Button on our home page

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Fri Sep 1 19:01:13 EDT 2006

After reading about Hennepin County on TechEssence we took a look at the
Google gadget builder.   It was pretty quick work to build a Gadget and
then place the Add to Google button beside our Search the Catalogue
link.

As usual, being Canadian may cause some issues as typing www.google.com
finds us being re-directed to www.google.ca.    We shall see how that
plays out.

Several of our Feeds have been discovered by the Google Spider and are
available for adding to a Google personalized page.     We may place Add
to Google beside a few of our most popular feeds.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes the Google spider to find
the xml link to the Catalogue Search Gadget - at that point it will be
available to added from within a personalized page.

Decided to try the Add to Google button front and centre, as opposed to
telling customers about what they could do if they went to Google, got a
personalized page, etc.

	It will be interesting to see the reaction.

Peter