[Web4lib] wikis in libraries

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Mon Oct 23 23:13:14 EDT 2006

I would think that people who are charged with supporting libraries
would understand reading as a form of participation.  You shouldn't
discount an audience member as a non-participant.  I think you vastly
simplify the process of participation in all of your examples.  A
student may never raise their hand in class, but after class they
might explain the concept lectured upon to a fellow class member who
finally grasps it as result.  This theoretical contribution was not
seen by anyone besides the two talked outside of class, but did
benefit the rest of the class.

I'm not saying in the real world this is what always happens, but
that isn't my point.  My point is it's easy to get up on a high horse
about others not "participating".  Easier than opening up your eyes
and seeing that world is not black and white and that there are many
ways to contribute, not just the way YOU choose to.

Cheers,
Walter McGinnis