[Web4lib] wikis in libraries

Darla Grediagin dgrediagin at bssd.org
Tue Oct 24 20:06:57 EDT 2006

Hi Dan,

I disagree somewhat.  I put up a wiki for my school librarian
association last spring.  I heard from some people that they didn't want
all the work that they had worked hard on put up in a space that others
could change.  I let them talk among themselves while I pushed forward.
I got others to contribute.  The same person who loudly voiced
complaints in March, posted a letter thanking me for dragging people
kicking and screaming into the 21st century.  If we are early adopters
of technology, we have to remember that not everyone will join us, but
some will along the way.  When a subject becomes important to someone,
they will learn to join in with the band.

I am working on being careful in how I talk to those who don't
participate.  Too often my enthusiasm will scare someone away from
joining the parade.  I  can't imagine not wanting to share the
information that I have with others, but there are those out there that
want to hang onto it until their last breath.  I say let them hang onto
their ideas and move forward on our own.  They will catch up hopefully
and if they don't, I am not out of the time I have spent on mine.

I hope this makes sense.  I have been running an inservice for library
aides today in which there was a particular problem of some being much
further along than others.

Have a great day,

Darla

Darla Grediagin