[Web4lib] Re: Code4Lib 2007 Call for Proposals

Jakob Voss jakob.voss at gbv.de
Tue Oct 17 04:43:51 EDT 2006

Roy Tennant wrote:

> Call for proposals - Code4lib 2007
>
> We are now accepting proposals for prepared talks for Code4lib 2007. [1]

You're lucky, I wish we had a similar event in Europe. Have you had any
participants from old Europa (and Asia) last year? I was at the ECDL
(European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital
Libraries) and there were some fruitful workshops and interesting
results, but in general it is more scientific-orientated and just too
large and expensive.

Code4Lib seems to be much more practical, isn't it? Do you see chances
for a Code4lib in Europa? We have Talis in UK, brilliant PICA developers
in the netherlands, ExLibris in Israel (although my impression of
ExLibris is that they are pretty reserved and more
top-down-business-orientated), and a strong Open Archive movement,

I'd like to have a real meeting of developers where we can openly
discuss without all the scientists that lack in practical relevance and
all the library politicians and businessmen that don't understand the
spirit of sharing but only want to promote their company or products.

Well, I'm dreaming, am I not? :-)

Greetings,
Jakob Voss