[Web4lib] iPod Libraries; Was: Bitten by the Portable Apps bug!

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue May 9 14:42:48 EDT 2006

Eric, I love the "megaGrisham" measurement :-)

I want to look beyond the technology to what it is that we want to do
with the various intellectual resources that we have access to. I
occasionally read a book more than once, but I almost always listen to a
piece of music multiple times. Some texts, poems, inspirational works,
seem designed for repeat business. I re-watch movies more often than I
re-read books, but it's a small percentage of the movies I've seen. So
far (and not enough time has passed for this to be a trend) I've not
listened to a podcast more than once.

It's not just a question of medium, but some combination of medium and
message, that leads me to repeat use. So the idea of having a whole
library in my pocket doesn't sound interesting -- carrying around a
bunch of stuff that I may access once only, or will have a very fleeting
interest in. What I see happening with portable devices is that people
are carrying with them "their culture," that is, the significant
cultural expressions that they want to interact with on an ongoing
basis. This could be, in itself, an interesting act of expression and
creativity. It would be even more interesting if we could get seriously
good visuals, so we could carry around our favorite paintings or
sculpture. Of course, the market limitations and commercial interests
skew this culture by making only certain resources available, but I'm
hoping that we'll realize some of the potential of micro-markets for
literature, art and music.

kc
p.s. Currently I'm carrying around Allen Ginsburg reading his own early
poetry. "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness...."

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net