[Web4lib] Spam-resistant forms service

Deborah Kaplan dkaplan at brandeis.edu
Tue Jun 20 09:28:52 EDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Thomas Bennett wrote:

> I don't use this myself but I've seen several sites where captcha service is
> used, basic service is free.  Simply put, you have to type in text that is
> distorted in a graphic.

If you use captchas, be sure to put in an accessible alternative.
Captcha accessibility is relatively easy as accessibility
problems go, since you can assume that the majority of people
unable to use the service will be visually impaired, so you know
you are adding accessibility for a specific subset of
accessibility tools (primarily JAWS) and problems
(color-blindness).

Some links:
http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/
http://www.standards-schmandards.com/index.php?2005/01/01/11-captcha