[Web4lib] Active X controls

Gair Helfrich ghelfrich at aclsys.org
Mon Jun 19 17:18:33 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Delurking for a question about Active X. Currently our public PCs have a
"library" user and an "administrator" user. These machines are also
protected by Centurion Guard or Deep Freeze as well as by Fortres.  The
public PCs use the library user-a standard user with no administrative
privileges. We're running into problems with sites that use Active X
since it can't be installed by a standard user and the patrons are
unhappy that they can't use the site they want.

I think we could set up a Power User, but according to some sites I've
read that would allow a "creative mind" to set themselves up as an
administrator-not something I want to have happen.

How are others getting around the Active X dilemma?

Thanks,

Gair

Gair Helfrich, MLS

Network, Computer and Technical Services Manager

Atlantic County Library

40 Farragut Avenue

Mays Landing, NJ 08330

609-625-2776 ext. 6313  Fax: 609-625-8143

ghelfrich at aclsys.org