[Web4lib] Re: Task completion success rates

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Jun 2 20:23:18 EDT 2006

John Kupersmith wrote:

> In 18 usability tests done at 13 different libraries, the
> overall average success rate for finding journal articles or
> article databases is 52%.

Who defined these tasks?  Is there an ALA standard?  I guess the
entire success rate would depend on what kind of tasks you define.

Task 1: Find "Moby Dick", the novel.  Any edition will do.

Success rate: 100% in any U.S. library.

Task 2: Find out when (which year) the word "program" in broadcast
radio changed its meaning from "the list of items" (e.g. "today's
programme on the BBC") to the "individual item on that list" (a
single show, e.g. "in this program, we'll discuss Library 2.0").

Task 2 would begin with checking the major dictionaries (OED). If
that doesn't answer the question, sample the OPAC for books and
articles using "program" (or "programme") in the title.  Then
start to read books, magazines, and newspapers pertaining to
broadcast radio from various decades.  This certainly is solvable
in any medium sized or larger univerity library.  But how fast?

Library user training includes telling people what kinds of
services they can expect from the library (task 1, not task 2).
This increases the task success rate, not because of increased
skill, but because people will stop to burden their library with
the impossible tasks.  Customers can have the Model T Ford in any
color they want, as long as they want it in black.

By the way, does anybody know the year?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)