[Web4lib] First library gophers?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 00:11:30 EDT 2006

Some of the very early activity related to Gopher and libraries concerned
Peter Scott and his database of library catalogs.  A colleague at Michigan
State took Peter's catalogs corpus and Gopherized it -- not sure if that was
the first effort.

Sue Davidsen at U Michigan and colleagues launched Go M-Link early on, led
to other pioneering efforts.  The Yahoo guys contacted her not much later
proposing to catalog the Internet.   Get hold of Sue to hear the tale.

I wrote a piece summarizing Gopher's role in 1992 for PACS... Not a
chronology per se but it might have some dates.
http://www.infomotions.com/serials/pacsr/pr-v4n02-wiggins.txt

/rich