[Web4lib] First library gophers?

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 11 01:12:42 EDT 2006

Three pretty decent pointers..

1) Gopher orgins - Timeline (UMn)
http://www.lib.umn.edu/site/timeline.phtml
"1991 - Gopher released by Paul Lindner and Mark P. McCahill from the
University of Minnesota, Libraries and OIT work together to create first
Gopher-based database implementation, Current Contents."

2) Origins - from Back to School BCK2SKOL
http://www.sc.edu/bck2skol/fall/lesson14.html
"Two of the first gopher sites to organize in the "subject tree" format were
the Go M-Link gopher, pioneered by librarian Sue Davidsen at the University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor (my undergraduate alma mater -- "Go BLUE!"), and the
"Library without Walls" gopher, developed by librarian Eric Lease Morgan at
North Carolina State University, Raleigh."

3) Newsletter item, NCSU on Morgan's gopher catalog project..
http://wwwnew.lib.ncsu.edu/publications/ncln/ncln-v20n10-ulmschneider-ncsu.t
xt
"In the fall of 1992, Eric Morgan (Library Systems) initiated an
intriguing experiment that has achieved national recognition
for its vision and creativity.  Employing metaphors and an
intellectual structuring of knowledge drawn from principles of
librarianship, he created a unique library-based gopher server,
the first in the state and one of the first in the country."

Disclaimer: Google helped find these.. didn't try using "gopher://"

Best,
Michael

--
P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
mailto:drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/

Quote of the Moment:
 Perform random acts of kindness & senseless beauty.
Monday, July 10, 2006 9:57:03 PM