[Web4lib] Re: Social spaces and Networking for College Students

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr. vctinney at dcn.org
Sun Jan 15 21:57:43 EST 2006

Athena Hoeppner wrote:

>LiveJournal is fairly popular.
>
>I think that the assumption that social spaces on the internet are the domain of students with underdeveloped social skills is questionable.  If it was true at one time, I don't think it's true anymore.
>
>Athena
>
>Athena Hoeppner
>Electronic Resources Librarian
>athena at mail.ucf.edu    (407)823-5049

>***some text deleted***
>
>DioGuardi notes that students perceive the Internet
>as 'an attractive alternative to the real-world.'
>In addition, students who have underdeveloped
>social skills, who experience loneliness and who
>are especially introverted are more likely to use
>the Internet as a social outlet."
>http://www.scc.losrios.edu/express/051103myspace.html
>
>Respectfully yours,
>
>Tom Tinney, Sr.

[Whilst doing so may be in violation of MySpace
agreements, little is done to eliminate groups
dedicated to the slandering of racial minorities,
and bullying remains a problem.  Many schools
in the US have begun to restrict access to
MySpace from school computers, because
it has become "such a haven for student gossip
and malicious comments"]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySpace
List of  social networking sites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_sites
Social networking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_networking

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Who's Who in America, Millennium Edition [54th] - 2004
Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, {both editions]
Genealogy and Family History Internet Web Directory
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/