[Web4lib] Libraries with accessible Web pages

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Feb 20 12:10:40 EST 2006

> Stacey Kimmel wrote:
>
> > -- strategies for implementing accessible pages.
>
> The WCAG guidelines and checklists are themselves very good at helping
> you keep your pages accessible.  If you even pay attention to the WCAG
> table of contents, you're doing better than a lot of sites: ...

1. When you produce RFPs and contracts for web-related work, or when you
negotiate for this work with institutional developers, spell out what you
mean by "accessible."  If the work has to meet all Priority 1 guidelines,
say so. If there is room for negotiation on Priority 2 or 3 guidelines,
spell that out. If you have guidelines that go *beyond* WCAG, make those
explicit. (
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/ )

2. Consider an accessibility audit. Last year during our site development we
used the services of the nonprofit Center for Accessible Technology
(http://www.cforat.org/ ). The report they provided was very useful for our
development (and for thinking ahead to "next step" development),
particularly as they focused on the WCAG guidelines. Even if your vendor (or
institutional developer) is playing footsy with the definition of
"accessibility," it's hard to argue with an international standard and a
report issued by a recognized organization in the field. (Well, maybe not
hard, given how many do it...)

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com