[Web4lib] Libraries with accessible Web pages

steven perkins scperkins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:08:00 EST 2006

Stacey:

Last spring I did a survey of all the US law library front pages.
Four of 191 pages could pass the HTML/XHTML validator at
http://validator.w3.org/  All of those pages mentioned accessibility
standards.

I also did the same survey on the ACRL library front pages.  Around
20% of the 127 pages could pass the validator.  Several had text
versions of their web pages and a few actually mentioned either WAI or
Section 508.

Be sure to have your pages tested by patrons using accessible
technologies.  Also remember that you can have a standard compliant
page that is still inaccessible and vice-versa.

US states have web page accessibility standards and a reference is located here:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/USA-States.html

US federal regulations are at this website:
http://www.section508.gov/

I have my presentation at CALI on Accessibility and Law Library
Webpages is at this address:

http://stevencperkins.com/presentations/CALI2005.ppt

Regards,

Steven C. Perkins